-- Welcome! Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy --

Monday, May 16, 2011

I don't really think this is the time

As awkward situations go this wasn’t so bad.  As normal situations go...this was pretty awkward.  
All I wanted to do was complete my order for paint at my local hardware store.  What stood between me and my paint, however, was a man and his torn rotator cuffs.
I reached around the counter and picked up my first 5 gallon bucket of paint just as the “Paint Guy” was ready to slide it to me with his foot.  He then told me that the reason he wasn’t picking up the paint was that he had a problem with his shoulders.  He had just had rotator cuff surgery on one and was in need of surgery on the other.
So far - no problem.  You’ve got an issue and want to share, that’s alright . . . I guess.  Where this situation turned awkward was when the paint guy began sharing specifics.
“Wow, that must be painful”, I said with hesitation.  Apparently, that was all of the “Go” that the paint guy needed.
He began telling me how he got relief from the pain.  The paint guy then painted the picture of him setting in his Lazy Boy chair.  He told me (and demonstrated) how he had to recline just about 3/4 of the way back.  Not all of the way, you see, just most of the way.  He then described in great detail exactly how he needed to place his hands.  He had to set them gently in his lap.  He then demonstrated this intricate hand positioning for me...just in case I had missed his verbal description.  Placing his hands this way provided for maximum relief.  He then demonstrated by what process he went through to get a drink of water. 
Thankfully, my paint was ready and I made a quick exit.  Not sure where our little demonstrations would have gone next, but I’m glad I wasn’t around to find out.  Its not that I don’t want to hear how this stranger does his little bodily fixes.  Ok, it is that I don’t want to hear.  Somebody needs to hear and I hope someone is there to listen.  I’m just not sure that standing at the paint counter is the best moment to share details with a stranger.
It feels kind of the same as when a mere acquaintance begins to use words like, “diarrhea” or begins explaining various bodily ailments.  If the words, “Toilet struggles” are uttered...I’m gone.  People do this though...people share way too much to strangers.  
A lady that I barely know told me, in great detail, about her hysterectomy.  Wow!  That was just way more than I ever cared to know about that!  While she was talking, I was screaming inside my head, "No!  Please stop!!  Alert, Alert, Alert!!"  Her comments were so specific, in fact, that I believe I could pass some sort of written OBGYN medical exam.    Seriously, it was so intense that she scrubbed in for this conversation and had a gloved lady pat the perspiration off of her forehead for her.  After listening to her for 20 minutes, I am legally a doctor in 7 states...and in Cuba. 
People, people, people!   Find a good friend.  Talk to a counselor.  Join Facebook.  Whatever you do, just don’t share all of your most personal details with strangers.  Its just not right.  I’ve heard things.  I’ve heard things...that play through my mind when I’m trying to sleep.  These are not good things.  
There is an innocence missing that can never be reclaimed.
Speaking of not good things - I’ve got this “thing” on the bottom of my  . . . never mind.
Keep the details to yourself people!
Hope you enjoyed reading.
JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment