-- Welcome! Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy --

Monday, August 1, 2011

New Orleans

I was speaking the other day to a man who found out that I used to live in New Orleans.  This man had visited New Orleans on several occasions and for the next 10 minutes he led me on a tour of the most uninteresting conversation ever had about any city...in the world.
Below is our amazing conversation:
Man:  Where did you live before moving to Des Moines?
Me:  We’ve lived here 12 years, but lived in New Orleans for 3 years prior to that.
Man:  Oh, New Orleans?  I went to New Orleans a few times when I was in the service.
Me:  Oh, ok.
Man:  New Orleans is a great city.
Me:  Yeah, we loved it.
Man:  Cafe’ Du Monde.  (This is said as a simple statement...just a statement...no     question or further comment is made...this is followed by silence)
Me:  (I’m confused)  Yeah, Cafe’ Du Monde is great.  We loved going there and just people watching.
Man:  How about that Lake....Lake um...what’s that lake?
Me:  Lake Pontchartrain.  We lived pretty close to Lake Pontchartrain.
Man:  Isn’t there a bridge that sits on the water over the lake?
Me:  Uhm...Not actually on the water...but there is a bridge that goes over the water...from one side to the other.  It’s a pretty big lake - you can’t see across from one side to the other.
Man:  That is pretty cool!  How about that French Quarter!??  Man!!  ...Bourbon Street??  (this is said with a raise of the eyebrows...I’m creeped out a bit)
Me:  Yeah, the French Quarter is pretty interesting...
Man:  They got a lot of Jazz down there, huh?
Me:  Yep.  Lots of Jazz.  
Man:  Pretty hot down there...
Me:  Yep.
Man:  They’ve got good food.  I can’t do that crawfish though...or gumbo...or jambalaya, but other than that...
Me:  Oh, sure...other than that.
(I’m pretty sure I blacked out at this point.  I don’t remember much after this.)
You’ve had this conversation before too, right?  Sometimes we find ourselves trapped in a conversation that just isn’t going to go anywhere.  I found myself screaming on the inside, for it to stop.  I was hoping for some type of natural disaster to break up the monotony.  I wondered about the possibility of a sudden heart attack...for either of us.  But, alas...help didn’t come.
Chris Farley used to do a skit on “Saturday Night Live” where he interviewed celebrities.  The entirety of the skit was him basically saying to the celebrity, “Remember that time when ___________...’member when you said ________?”  That’s how I felt during this conversation.  This guy just kept saying facts and statements about a city.  Other than just inventing stories for fun...all I could say was...”yep, the Mississippi River is in New Orleans.”  
Riveting conversation.
I hope you found this blog riveting as well. 
Remember when he said “other than that”?  
JJ
On a side note...New Orleans is a great city.  Go there any time that you have the opportunity - you’ll love it...they’ve got jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment